Saturday 4 September 2010

La Guerita touches down in Mexico


As I write, 2 weeks of new tastes, sights and sounds behind me already, I am almost ashamed that I haven’t got down to doing this finger-to-keyboard process before now. I have had the intention of doing so ever since I had too long to ponder my current existence during a rather lengthy lavatory trip (a result of said new tastes). The advantage is that I can now write without the unattractive anxious trait coming through, and therefore at least this first entry should not be full of paranoia about being rejected by my new adoptive country or being hated by 800 Mexican children – however, I am in no position to promise this – ‘2 weeks’ quakes in its boots next to the imposing figure of ‘10 MONTHS’.

It is somewhat apt to be writing on this virgin page on my 2-week anniversary of arriving in this beautiful country. I have so far experienced the impersonal sprawl of Mexico City, the unrelenting wind and Mariachis of Veracruz, the heat, humidity and human warmth of Cosoleacaque, and the chilled pace of Xalapa. I still feel like just as much of a Guerita ( = pale white girl), but the beginnings of roots are beginning to work their way towards the light and I am becoming as attached to this country as the mosquitoes are to my sweaty skin.

The disadvantage of starting committing my impressions and observations to the page now is that they are likely to have neither rhyme nor reason – chronology is set to go out of the window for at least a pequeño while. Bear with me, it’s a Work In Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment