Monday 11 October 2010

A is for Apple

Oficially, I am not a teacher. I’m a teaching assistant. Realistically, I shouldn’t be touched out of all proportions by small gestures. Usually, I don’t receive apples from my students.

Today, at the beginning of my second class of the day, in the centre-of-town primary school, a nine-year old girl called Valeria gave me an apple. It was a lightly bruised, green apple, which had probably been given to her by her vaguely health-conscious mother, and which she hadn’t had time to eat during the lunch break just before the lesson. And yet she considered that the best thing to do with this small piece of fruit was present it to the slightly ditzy, badly-spoken English teacher that visits them once a week. With this small, innocent gesture, that little girl made my day.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet..
    Why do all the names sound nicer and sweeter with an 'a' at the end?
    Do not keep the suspense going? What happened to the apple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple is slowly becoming more heavily bruised and less green. The symbolic significance of it is preventing me from actually making use of it, other than to take up space on my dressing table. Maybe I'll make a plaster cast of it...

    ReplyDelete