Sunday 29 June 2014

Labels

The menu to the right hand-side of my computer screen includes, in first place, 'labels'. It makes me think a lot, looking at this word. It makes me think about how much we strive to do this for everything, from insects, to relationships, to foodstuffs and to types of bogeys. And it also makes me think about the impossibility since a young age for me to label anything to do with myself.

Even the unpredictable 'I'm always like this, that's just how spontaneous I am', or 'I've always been a bit shy'. I can't work up the objectiveness to do it. I'm incapable of being consistent, aknowledging it, and projecting it. So I bounce off the people around me, I act how I want to act in that instance, and my presence and conversation is shaped almost entirely by the context of that given moment. I'm extremely good and moulding myself to the label-givers around me, but don't carry my own one for all to see and recognise. Is that a bad thing? Maybe I need to pencil some labels in temporarily to try and decide which fits me best. Or maybe I'll just be label-less, like an anonymous piece of second-hand clothing or a contraband bottle of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment